Dual-boot Sierra and Windows 10. Same Disk. No UEFI.

Dual-boot Sierra and Windows 10. Same Disk. No UEFI.

Postby robertzero » 18 Oct 2016, 06:30

Is there a way of achieving this?

I have a laptop from 2012 that still uses BIOS (No UEFI at all).
It has only one hard disk in it and I want to be able to have both systems running side-by-side.

I tried using MacOS Sierra's USB installer (downloaded from here) to wipe the drive clean using GPT. MacOS installs fine but Windows' installer refuses to install in a GPT disk.

If I use Windows' Install disk to format the disk using the MBR partition scheme, MacOS installs fine to the partition created for it but the EFI partition for it is not created and Clover doesn't boot.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance!
Your hair's so dark, just like the night...
robertzero

CPU: Core i3 2100
Motherboard: GA-H61M-DS2 F3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 210

Re: Dual-boot Sierra and Windows 10. Same Disk. No UEFI.

Postby artur-pt » 18 Oct 2016, 08:31

hello

format ur windows partition fat

then when in windows installer .. just reformat that partition to ntfs and install windows there ..

that procedure keep the guid

good hack
PB Easy Note TM 86 - i5 430 M - H55M - Ram - 6 GB - Alc272 - Radeon HD 5470 512 QE/CI
Lenovo G500 - i5 3230m - HM77 - Ram - 8 GB - Conexant audio - HD 4000
My OS X Files - join me at irc.freenode.net/##olarila
artur-pt
Staff

Postby robertzero » 21 Oct 2016, 02:32

artur-pt wrote:hello

format ur windows partition fat

then when in windows installer .. just reformat that partition to ntfs and install windows there ..

that procedure keep the guid

good hack

Wait. I'm not sure I got that right.

I installed Windows first (mbr way) and had this other partition separated for the MacOS.
I then installed MacOS in it and, I believe, the MacOS installer messed with my MBR/PBR for some reason (maybe all it really did was change the active partition) nonetheless, I proceeded by booting the MacOS now installed in the hard disk and installed the Clover Legacy using the latest MultiBeast using the preferred settings for old hardware (presented in the first tab/screen).

I got the boot0af error and only was I able to reach Clover (in mbr) by dd'ing the boot1h to the MacOS partition.

I thought the nightmare was over. I couldn't be more wrong.
When I tried to access the Windows install (which showed up just fine in the Legacy Clover menu) it never booted. When I pressed enter it took me back to the Clover menu.

If I tried to access the MacOS partition, it would freeze after a few lines with a prohibited sign in the middle of the screen.

I also tried to do it the other way around: Installing MacOS first, saving a fat32 partition so the Windows installer would allow me to format it to NTFS afterwards without complaining about the GPT partition scheme.

I was able to install both but I got stuck in the same scenario as above.

Am I missing something
Your hair's so dark, just like the night...
robertzero

CPU: Core i3 2100
Motherboard: GA-H61M-DS2 F3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 210

Postby pernacabeluda » 21 Oct 2016, 15:19

robertzero wrote:I also tried to do it the other way around: Installing MacOS first, saving a fat32 partition so the Windows installer would allow me to format it to NTFS afterwards without complaining about the GPT partition scheme.

Try doing like this but install Clover in the ESP
pernacabeluda
Senior

Postby tinhomascarenhas » 04 May 2017, 13:47

EU fiz este mesmo processo sugerido e nada. Estou com o mesmo problema ha 20 dias. Queria saber de vcs como proceder?
tinhomascarenhas

CPU: core i5
Motherboard: positivo POS PIQ 57 BQ
GPU: NVIDIA QUADRO 510

Return to Sierra (10.12)